Galle, Sri Lanka


Situated on a large harbor on the island's southern coast, Galle dates from the 13th century, possibly much earlier, but it became the island's chief port during the period of Portuguese rule (1507–c. 1640). Under Dutch rule it was the island capital until 1656, when Colombo replaced it. The rise of Colombo's port in the second half of the 19th century led to Galle's decline. The historic section of the city, containing a fort and other colonial-era buildings, was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1988. [—Text adapted from Encyclopedia Britannica, 2008]

 

Southern end of Galle Fort (1, 2)

Newlyweds at a photo shoot

Street inside the Fort

Lighthouse (1, 2)

Grand old trees (more)

Anglican Church (1, 2)

Street inside the Fort

View from the fort wall

Flag Rock from the Lighthouse

Lighthouse from Flag Rock Bastion

Flag Rock from Triton Bastion

Triton Bastion from Flag Rock

Kids diving from the rock

An assembly of locals (more)

A modern stupa

Street inside the fort

Street inside the fort (1, 2)

Dutch era ship arrival board

Cricket in Galle (more)

Indian-Chinese restaurant

Kids playing

Ramparts of the fort

Grassy patch inside the ramparts

On the fort wall by the lighthouse

Flag Rock Bastion

Street inside the fort

Street inside the fort

Sunset in Galle

 



Designed in collaboration with Vitalect, Inc.