Panjim, Goa, India


Situated on the Mandovi River, Panjim, or Panaji, is the capital of Goa state. A tiny village until the mid-18th century, Panaji became the capital in 1843 when repeated plagues forced the Portuguese to abandon their capital of Velha Goa (Old Goa). It contains colonial houses and plazas, and by law all the houses must be whitewashed annually. Chiefly an administrative centre, Panaji in the 1970s also grew in commercial importance, and an industrial estate was developed nearby. Many Portuguese and Maratha ruins can be found in the environs.

Church of Our Lady of the
Immaculate conception

Panjim street

Terracotta statues

Secretariat by the river


Fontainhas square


Fontainhas visitors


Cricket in Fontainhas


Chapel of St. Sebastian


Local business


Abbe Faria and assistant


Mood for mischief


Family planning ad

 



Designed in collaboration with Vitalect, Inc.