|Trinidad & Tobago|
Udaipur ("City of Sunrise") lies in the hills of the Aravali Range. It was made the capital of the princely state of Udaipur in 1568 by Maharaja Udai Singh after the sack of Chittorgarh. A walled city, it stands on a ridge crowned by the Maharaja's palace, which was begun in 1570. To the west lies Lake Pichola with its two small islands and marble palaces, one of which served as a refuge for the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan (reigned 1628-58) when, before his accession, he revolted against his father, Jahangir. A major road and rail junction, Udaipur is an agricultural distribution centre. Its factories produce chemicals, asbestos, and clay. Cloth, embroidery, ivory, and lacquerware handicrafts are also manufactured there.
Udaipur (Mewar) princely state was established in the 8th century by Sisodia Rajputs (warrior rulers of the historic region of Rajputana). The dynasty later made a long resistance to the Muslim invasions. In the 18th century the state suffered from internal dissension and incursions by the Marajhas and came under British paramountcy in 1818. In 1948 it merged with the union of Rajasthan. [Adapted from Encyclopedia Britannica]
City Palace & Museum
Lake Pichola and Gangaur Ghat
Sahelion ki Bari
Fateh Sagar, Moti Magri, Bagore ki Haveli, Etc.
Udai Vilas Palace Hotel
Designed in collaboration with Vitalect, Inc.